- COST: The cost is $40 per team. We will pay first and second places for each of the resulting Gold, Silver, and Bronze single elimination brackets. Please make your checks payable to "NHLBC" and mail your payment to Norma Goodhart at 1502 Lakeside Lane, Huntington Beach CA 92648. You can also leave a check inside the club office and notify Norma. Payments must be received by Saturday November 7. Teams not paid by that date will be removed from the bracket. We currently have 32 teams signed up.
- PARTICIPATION: By participating in this event you are agreeing to play one game each week as long as your team survives and, if needed, allow for a little flexibility and sacrifice.
Failure to play a match will result in a loss and award their opponents 3 points, 5 plus points and 12 total points to their opponent
Because this tournament takes place during 3 Holidays no less, we would like to encourage EVERY team to designate a substitute prior to the beginning of your first matches. You risk forfeiting a match if you find that your partner can't make a match and you have no sub.
Also, please submit a team photo so people will know who you are.. Please email them to Randy Hatfield and we'll post on the website.
- TOURNAMENT FORMAT: The tournament committee did their best to place every team into 4 levels based upon their knowledge of the participants' skills and recent tournament results. The 8 A-level teams have the most skills; the B-level less so, and so on. Everyone was placed into 4-team groups composed of A, B, C and D level teams based upon a blind-draw held on Thu 5 Nov. The teams in each group will play one another once for the Round Robin portion of the tournament. This will assure that every team will play at least 3 matches.
Once all group competition has completed, all teams across all groups will then be seeded based upon:
1) the most matches won
2) the most plus-point accumulated (max 10 per game), and
3) the fewest total points against.
The top 8 teams will be placed into a Gold bracket, the next 8 teams into a Silver bracket, and the final 8 teams into a Bronze bracket. The teams in each bracket will be seeded according to the above criteria. A Single-Elimination tournament is then held for each bracket.
- SCHEDULE: The Round Robin portion of the tournament will begin the week of Monday, November 9. (First round matches may be played starting Saturday November 7th, must be completed by Sunday November 15, and results submitted by Monday November 16.) The two teams must agree on the the day and time of the match. Send the match time and date to firstname.lastname@example.org so he can post it on the website.
Note that the busiest time is always on Saturday mornings between 9am-12pm because that's when Social Bowls are held. Because Social Bowls have priority over tournament matches, if you want to play early Saturday, you must phone at or before 8:30 and ask if there are any open rinks. If there are not, you must pick another time. SUGGESTION: Avoid the chaos and play your games during the other 165 hours of the week. Plan accordingly and use appropriate caution.
You will have the entire week to contact your opponent, play your match, and report your results. You must play one match during the weeks designated in the schedule. The preset default time to play a match is Saturday at 1:00 pm each week in case the two teams cannot come to an agreement on a better time. This is designed to prevent a team simply from avoiding communication and throwing a wrench into the system.
The 8-team Gold, Silver, and Bronze Single-Elimination Bracket portion of the tournament will held on Saturday afternoons beginning December 12: Quarter-final matches on December 12 at 1:00pm, Semi-final matches on December 19 at 1:00pm, and the Finals on January 2 at 1:00pm.
- GAME FORMAT: One 16-end game (per week). Club rules. Trial ends are permitted before every match. Take advantage of this opportunity. Leads may not visit the head and skips may visit only after their 2nd and 3rd bowls. This is to speed up match play. Results must be reported by the winning team to Randy Hatfield by Email. Be sure to CC your opponent.
For the Round Robin portion of the tournament, match winners will be awarded 3 points, ties 1 point and losses 0 points. A maximum of 10 plus points and fewest points against will be captured for each team per each match. To have the bracket automatically calculate the plus points correctly, if the disparity between the scores is greater than 10, the posted score will show the losing score and the losing score +10. Because plus and fewest points against are considered in seeding, you must play all 16 ends.
For the Single-Elimination Bracket portion of the tournament, if your match ends up in a tie, the winner of a one-end bowl-off determines the winner. If it is mathematically impossible for a team to win or tie a match, that team may concede.
- SUBSTITUTES: Substitutes are meant to be a stop-gap measure for when someone isn’t able to make a match time and date for unforeseen conflicts, sickness, and injury. This saves you from having to forfeit (like a couple of teams had to do in the previous tournament). Subs are not meant to be part of your team that you can interchange at will with another teammate. Please use your subs in this spirit and make every attempt not to use a sub if possible in your scheduling.
Subs can play on one and only one team.
Remember that once you play your first match, you can no longer designate a sub for your team and must forfeit your match if your partner can’t bowl.
- COVID: We are playing with modified Covid-19 guidelines. Because it has been found that Covid-19 is mostly spread by aerosol and less so by touch, we will be rolling the jack in this tournament. Similarly, the end winner places the mat. Rakes are optional, but if you use one please be aware that multiple people are touching the rake. You can use a scoreboard or scorecard to record your results. Again, be aware multiple people are touching the chalk. If this concerns you, please take any precautions you deem appropriate (hand wipes, agree on one person fulfilling a duty).
- RINK SELECTION: is first come first use.
- FINALS: The Finals for each bracket will be played following Social Bowls at 1:00pm on Saturday, January 2, 2021 weather permitting.
- PRIZE POOL: 32 teams @ $40/team = $1,240 - $100 (for club green fees) = $1,180 prize pool.
The final breakdown of the payouts for first and second places in each of the brackets are as follows:
Gold: Champion: $500, 2nd Place: $260
Silver: Champion: $200, 2nd Place: $100
Bronze: Champion: $80, 2nd Place: $40
ALL OF THE ABOVE IS SAID WITH THE ASSUMPTION THAT WE'RE BEING WISE AND ACTING APPROPRIATELY IN REGARDS TO COVID-19.